First Quantum Minerals
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
The position of maintenance coordinator is to maximise plant availability through coordination of maintenance personnel and plant equipment spares to ensure set plant equipment reliability is achieved in a safe environment. This role is responsible for maintaining operational integrity of the plant and equipment in order to achieve production targets.
Specific Job Responsibility
- Offer technical guidance to all supervisors under the superintendent to the plant runs efficiently and in safe manner.
- Be a self-starter and able to work autonomously and as part of a team.
- Demonstrate a commitment to work place safety and the safety of your subordinates.
- Be accurate, methodical, and practical when giving guidance to mechanical supervisors and artisans.
- Ensure subordinates follow laid down policies and procedures as out lined by management.
- Enforce compliance to work order attachments and documents such as JSA’s, work procedure’s, SWI’s, etc.
- Co-ordinate and ensure compliance with safety and environmental management systems, policies and procedures along with ensuring that all risks have been identified, managed and safe working environment is maintained.
- Enforce good housekeeping practices are maintained by enforcing cleaning up before, during and after every task and not leaving any hazards within the work place.
- Provide the superintendent with practical suggestions and improvements for the section.
- Coordinate with departmental team members, as well as process departmental members.
- Have the ability to plan for shutdowns, arrange materials and manpower allocation in collaboration with planning department.
- Assist in the proactive identification of repair and maintenance works required, which includes spares sourcing abilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Report all safety related incidents / accidents to your supervisor.
Job Specific Competencies
- Must be familiar with safe working practices.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Knowledge of Pronto will be advantageous.
- Plant- specific experience in hard rock fixed copper processing plants.
- Previous experience in a large open pit mining, milling, and flotation operation will be advantageous.
- Demonstrable experience with maintenance management systems and RCA will be advantageous.
- Ability to manage and implement company procedures.
- Provide feedback to supervisor regarding employee morale and concerns.
- Ability to create a safety and quality conscious team.
Key Job Attributes
- Able to handle work with a great sense of professionalism.
- Possesses good organizational skills.
- Detail oriented person.
- Maintain a professional approach to duties and responsibilities with the capability of making timely, rational decisions and an ability to meet deadlines.
- Act with honesty and integrity in all areas: maintain confidentiality in dealings with subordinates, clients and customers.
- Demonstrate accuracy, time management and organizational skills.
- Maintain a professional work ethic through effective, honest communication with supervisors, peers, and subordinates.
- Commitment to reach or exceed maintenance, operational and safety goals.
- Work effectively in a team environment, supporting other team members when needed.
- The ability and drive to manage maintenance work in a technically challenging and geographically remote engineering environment.
- Sound planning, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Able to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a junior mechanical position (artisan).
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in a senior mechanical position (supervisor / coordinator / mechanical section engineer).
- Proven knowledge and experience on heavy mining units of processing plants in primary, pebble and secondary crushers, conveyor feeder systems, hydraulic lubrication systems, hydraulic valve operational systems and variable rate feeder systems.
- Construction and maintenance supervision background, with preference given to direct mining experience.
- Extensive knowledge of milling and grinding systems will be essential.
- A full Grade 12 school certificate.
- Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical engineering from a recognized institution.
- A tertiary qualification in maintenance management will be advantageous.
- A valid Zambian vehicle driving permit.
- Registered as a member of the Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ).
- Registered as a member of the Engineering Registration Board of Zambia (ERB).
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at
Follow us for the latest news at
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE
Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.