Health and Safety Manager – West Coast Region – Myrtle Point, OR 97458
NovaSource Power Services is the new service partner for renewables asset owners ready to fuel smart growth. As a solar O&M-focused company with 20 years of operating experience, NovaSource has the global reach and strategic capabilities to achieve our clients’ renewables goals around the world.
Our turn-key services optimize each step of our clients’ project lifecycles — from commissioning to decommissioning and everything in between. Our approach delivers success for our clients, stability for our teams, and enables us to build a world-class culture of excellence. And that’s how we empower a renewable world.
To serve our clients, we invest in our people. Upon hiring, we assess each employee’s experience and expertise, then mentor them to grow engaging and satisfying careers.
Health and Safety Manager (H&S) – West Coast Region
The H&S Manager – UPP West Coast Region will be responsible for providing leadership, direction, and strategic planning for all NovaSource Power Services (NSPS) H&S programs and initiatives for all Utility Scale Power Plants across the West Coast region. In this role, the successful candidate will be directly responsible for developing and leading a regional H&S team as well as partnering with the EH&S Director, the Environmental Manager, and other H&S Managers to drive best-in-class safety performance in the bigger, global, picture.
Remote position – Must live in California.
- Evaluate and manage Leading Indicators, Lagging Indicators, and Key Performance Indicators to encourage the NSPS proactive Safety culture and aid in the prevention of safety-related incidents.
- Track and manage safety data trends for continuous improvement of the Safety Program.
- Respond to accidents and incidents and perform root cause analysis.
- Aid field personnel in managing their Safety Data Sheets.
- Develop site-specific H&S Plans (Emergency Action Plans, HASPs, Project Risk Analysis, etc.)
- Conduct hazard analysis and pre-operational site walk for new site onboarding.
- Ensure site supervision and technicians understand and operate within the conditions NovaSource H&S policies
- Enhance Safety Walk and Talks, BBS Observations, and Good Catches through continuous improvement activities and lessons learned initiatives
- Act as primary liaison with regulatory agencies concerning all regional H&S issues
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local environmental, health, and safety regulations through documentation and training
- Ensure conformance to applicable federal and international standards through employee training and site audits
- Lead and document accident/incident investigations to determine root cause, prevention, and corrective measures in partnership with operations teams, with a specific focus on severe and life-altering incident prevention
- Manage, develop, and improve H&S-related documentation and training content in accordance with H&S management system processes
- Perform frequent H&S inspections and procedural audits in the field and ensure immediate corrective action is initiated where required
- Manage Safety Contractors in the region to conduct a minimum amount of site audits per month. Coordinate with other H&S managers to best utilize the safety contractor’s time in a geographical area.
- Work with regional operations management, help identify their H&S needs, and address them.
- Work with project management and account managers on client needs and requests, including meeting contractual obligations for onboarding sites, training for technicians, and any other site or client H&S requirements.
- Certified to teach Heath and Safety training, or able to become certified to teach H&S training (NFPA 70E, OSHA 10 & 30 (general industry), Fall Protection (3M), 1
- Travel > 40%
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Preferred, Bachelor’s degree in Occupational, Health and Safety, or other related fields of study from an accredited college/university or the equivalent work experience
- At least 5 years of H&S management experience (Solar experience preferred)
- At least 5 years of experience with Cal.OSHA regulations
- Electrical safety experience (medium and high voltage experience preferred)
- Experience planning and conducting EHS training
- NFPA 70E instructor preferred
- OSHA 500 or 501, required
- Experience in accident/incident investigation and root cause analysis (TapRooT, experience preferred).
- Fall protection trainer, 1
stAid/CPR/AED trainer, preferred
- ISO experience preferred
- Experience with utilities or utility-scale power plants preferred
- Strong ability to effectively communicate and influence at all levels of an organization
- Ability to build effective relationships; possess strong interpersonal skills
- Self-motivator; must be able to work independently and manage H&S personnel
- Strong time management skills
- Must be available for on-call duty (long hours are required occasionally)
- Must have strong interpersonal skills
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office suite, SharePoint, and have experience with EH&S database management
- Fluent in English (speaking, reading, and writing); multi-lingual strongly preferred.
- Ability to travel periodically to site locations, still under construction, and help onboard facilities
- Climb ladders and work in lifts off the ground.
- Work near medium and high voltage.
- Work in all weather conditions (heat, cold, rain, etc.)
- Sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
- Participate in after-hours meetings or take after-hours phone calls from the field.
- Be able to wear site-specific PPE (fall protection, FR clothing, safety-toed boots, safety gasses, etc.)
All positions in our office require interaction with people and technology while either standing or sitting. In order to best serve our customers, internal and external, all associates must be able to communicate face-to-face and on the phone with or without reasonable accommodation. NovaSource is committed to compliance with its obligations under all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination. In keeping with this commitment, it attempts to reasonably accommodate applicants and employees in accordance with the requirements of the disability discrimination laws. It also invites individuals with disabilities to participate in a good faith, interactive process to identify reasonable accommodations that can be made without imposing an undue hardship.
Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role.
US: Diversity Statement – Equal Employment Opportunity
It is NovaSource’s policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. NovaSource disapproves of, and will not tolerate, unlawful discrimination against any applicant or employee because of race, color, national origin or ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, age, religion, disability, family care status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal laws.
To apply for this job please visit www.nexxt.com.