IFC-a member of the World Bank Group-is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
The IFC is looking to recruit a Resident Representative for Zambia and Malawi. This position is based in Lusaka, Zambia and reports to the Ethiopia, Zambia and Malawi Country Manager based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
As part of the team, the Resident Representative will play a critical role in operationalizing IFC 3.0/Creating Markets strategy and enabling the Cascade at a country level. He/she will be responsible, in close collaboration across the WBG, for developing operational country strategies and action plans and for driving their implementation. He/she will oversee the portfolio and leads business development for investment, upstream and advisory services. He/she will establish and maintain strong relationships with high-level representatives of the Governments of Zambia and Malawi, global and regional businesses, banking and multilateral partners as well as other non-governmental organizations, to maximize the impact of IFC’s interventions and to contribute to the overall development of the country and its industries. He/she leads the coordination with World Bank Group institutions and, contribute to the design and implementation of the Joint Implementation Plans (JIPs) and other forms of proactive collaboration to enhance business delivery at the country level.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3-year term appointment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee all IFC’s investment and advisory activities in Zambia and Malawi;
- In conjunction with the Country Manager and in collaboration with the World Bank, develop and implement a strategy for IFC’s Investment, Upstream and Advisory activities in all streams with a focus on the key areas as per the regional strategy;
- Coordinate the development of a client engagement strategy for key clients existing or targeted;
- Establish, develop and maintain IFC’s relationships with the Government of Zambia and Malawi, both at the working and ministerial levels and represent IFC at key government and multilateral functions;
- Work across all the sectors especially mining, infrastructure, financial sector, agribusiness and manufacturing and services to complete sponsor checks and due diligence, support IFC’s project development activities, provide support during transaction execution and portfolio management;
- Develop a strong pipeline of investment opportunities based on market trends and sector/country knowledge and provide innovative and flexible financial structures for complex transactions;
- Share accountability for the quality and performance of the country portfolio; work jointly with the country manager to meet scorecard targets. (Client Satisfaction, Productivity, and Development Impact and People metrics);
- Facilitate advisory services project identification and design as well as client and partner engagement strategies;
- Set standards for thoroughness in quality control and make recommendations to strengthen transactions;
- Coordinate closely with social, environmental and technical assistance colleagues to add value to clients’ businesses;
- Collaborate with and coordinate IFC missions in Zambia and Malawi.
- Propose pragmatic solutions to specific industry challenges to achieve sustainable development impact;
- Lead and manage the Zambia and Malawi staff ensuring that the teams are high-performing and well-motivated with clear deliverables committed to the success of IFC in Zambia and Malawi;
- Mentor and develop junior staff;
- Manage operations of IFC’s office in Lusaka and Lilongwe including budget, logistics, etc. and ensuring strong cohesion in the office;
- Maintain a good working knowledge of current investment and advisory operations in Sudan and respond to queries from HQ, Regional management and staff;
- Facilitate and provided guidance to visiting missions.
- MBA with 12+ years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Ability to work in the matrix environment as an integral part of the Regional Department, meet objectives and deliver high quality work within deadlines;
- Proven track record in screening and assessing investment opportunities for IFC;
- Strong experience in building and maintaining very strong and successful relationships at the highest level of government and private sector.
- Significant experience in areas of expertise, and sound understanding of business issues and experience with full range of IFC products and services;
- Significant Investment/Advisory sector transaction experience with proven success in developing client relationships and processing quality investments;
- Proven ability to effectively plan, direct, organize and administer diverse activities to ensure effective delivery of work program;
- Demonstrated leadership skills, strong teamwork and communications skills in a highly diverse, virtual environment;
- Ability to plan and manage staff to achieve high quality results and encourage innovation in an open team-based environment, inspiring trust and influencing and resolving differences across organizational boundaries;
- Excellent people management skills and openness to feedback, new ideas and ability to coach and guide staff to solve problems preferably within a fragile country context;
- Strong written and verbal communications skills in English;
- Prior successful professional exposure to a similar country is desired.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the and , including our values and inspiring stories.