First Quantum Minerals
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
Required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment, quality, and any other regulations as required by the company and/or relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of this function. Will ensure all lifting machines and lifting equipment comply to all Safety Regulations and Statuary testing and inspections are conducted within the allowable timeframe of such equipment.
Specific Job Responsibility
- Ensure that a safe working environment is maintained for the staff
- Manage compliance crew and ensure safe working standards are maintained.
- To lead and guide individuals in their everyday tasks to enhance their skills and broaden their knowledge
- Participate in forward planning of mobile crane jobs with section planner.
- To advise and assist the riggers with critical inspections and compliance testing procedures.
- Understanding Proof Load Testing & load test preparations.
- Assist with the development Standard Working Instructions and Bill of Materials for sustainability of work practices
- Other duties as required by the Materials Handling Coordinator.
- Prepare technical reports and briefs on equipment, safety, project progress and other matters
- Participate in meetings and briefings, both formal and informal
- Ensure that all plant and equipment under your responsibility are maintained in a good, sound and safe condition.
- Ensure to familiarise yourself with, and enforce compliance to Zambian Mining Regulations.
Job Specific Competencies
- Compliance tests are conducted in accordance to Mining Regulations
- Compile lift plans for all critical or non-routine lifts
- Scheduling and planning of weekly PM inspections
- Standby work required
- Overtime when necessary
- Performing shift work when required
- Exposure to dust, heat and noise
- PC Literacy
- A sound understanding on the various types of lifting machines and equipment on site
- An understanding of relevant legislation, policies and procedures
- A sound understanding of loads and radiuses to ensure the correct cranes are used for specific tasks.
- A sound understanding of load charts
Key Job Attributes
- Detail Orientation and Problem Solving
- Team player, Organized and Good Communicator
- Bold initiative
- Safe work practices and Upholds Quality
- Technical Skill
- Driving Quantity and attendance
- Strong interpersonal skills and leadership skills
Qualifications and Experience
- Rigger Trade or equivalent as a minimum from a recognized Institution
- G12 Certificate
- At least 5 years’ experience in rigging and compliance testing
- Must be knowledgeable about legislation governing health and safety
- A member of the Engineering Institution of Zambia (EIZ)
- Familiarity with PRONTO is an added advantage
- Must have a valid driver’s licence or proof that in the process to obtain one.
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at
Follow us for the latest news at
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE
Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.